How to avoid "f.close" (no parens) bug?

Nick Craig-Wood nick at craig-wood.com
Mon Nov 14 05:30:07 EST 2005

Peter <peter at commonlawgov.org> wrote:
>  First off, please explain what you are talking about better next time.
>
>  Second, What on earth are you talking about?
>
>  "f" is a file object, correct?
>
>  Are you trying to close a file by typing f.close or is the file closing
>  when you type f.close?

I would guess that this person is coming to python from perl.  In
perl, you are allowed to miss the parens off a method call if it takes
no arguments, so f.close is equivalent to f.close().

I used to make this mistake all the time.  However it is one pychecker
catches, so install pychecker and run it on all your programs is the
answer!