derived / base class name conflicts

Alex Martelli aleax at mail.comcast.net
Fri Nov 11 10:55:11 EST 2005

<christopherlmarshall at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I don't think it is reasonable in general to only subclass from base
> classes you have studied the full API of, however.  The double

I think you underestimate the level of coupling that inevitably occurs
between base and derived classes.  In general, such coupling being
strong, knowing the full API of the base class is inevitable (although
in some special corner-case, when you do only need to add private data,
you may, exceptionally, get away with less knowledge).

Alex