importing a method

Martin Miller ggrp1.20.martineau at dfgh.net
Wed Nov 30 19:19:06 EST 2005

Sorry, I seldom look at the built-in __doc__ strings or use the
'help()' function.  Instead I usually refer to the html or winhelp
versions of the documentation, and for Python 2.4.1 there's nothing in
section 3.28 on the 'new' module that mentions that it deprecated -- so
thanks to you and Flávio for the information.

Using help on MethodType gave me the following somewhat surprising
output [truncated here]:
>>> import types
>>> help(types.MethodType)
Help on class instancemethod in module __builtin__:

class instancemethod(object)
 |  instancemethod(function, instance, class)
 |
 |  Create an instance method object.
[snip]

Which I take to mean that 'instancemethod' is no longer [just] a
function in the deprecated 'new' module but is also a built-in class.

However and somewhat confusingly (to me anyway), a search in the help
docs file turns up the following:

> 7.5.3  Method Objects
> There are some useful functions that are useful for working with method objects.
>
> PyTypeObject  PyMethod_Type
>   This instance of PyTypeObject represents the Python method type. This is
>   exposed to Python programs as types.MethodType.
[snip]

Which, as you can see, claims that types.MethodType is actually an
instance of a PyTypeObject (not the class instancemethod that
help(types.MethodType) indicated).

Best,
-Martin

====