wxPython Licence vs GPL

Martin P. Hellwig mhellwig at xs4all.nl
Sat Nov 26 05:05:25 EST 2005

Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Nov 2005 23:26:38 +0100, Martin P. Hellwig wrote:
>
>> BSD/MIT style license is a
>> good substitute of no license at all.
>
> But that's not true: "no licence at all" means that nobody has the right
> to use or copy or even *see* your work. You can, of course, choose to
> show them your work without a licence, but unless you give them a licence
> they can't legally do anything with it.
>
> Perhaps you are thinking of the public domain, which does not require a
> licence, but that is because it is not owned by anyone -- not even you,
> the creator.
>
> If you want to release your work with no restrictions whatsoever, then
> just put the work in the public domain. Is attribution really that
> important to you -- especially when that attribution may be buried deep in
> the source code of software which nobody will ever see?

Well I don't know how it's legally outside (most of) the EU, but here if
your are actioned in publishing information of any kind (including
source code) without restricting it, you can not refer to any copyrights
or protected IP thereafter, but you still are responsible for the
consequences of your action if the results are related to a more or less
unmodified version of your publishing. Of course you still have the
right to claim to be the original author and accuse anybody else who
falsely claim that as plagiarist.

--
mph