Which License Should I Use?

Andrew Koenig ark at acm.org
Sun Nov 27 14:02:50 EST 2005

"mojosam" <nk67v8o02 at sneakemail.com> wrote in message
news:1133041306.601950.213710 at g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

> I would have to talk to a lawyer to be sure, but right now, I think I
> can argue that anything I do on my own time belongs to me.  I'm
> technically a consultant right now (even though I'm spending 40
> hours/week with the one "client").  I can take on other clients, as
> long as they don't directly compete.  This means they're hiring my
> expertise.  If I bring my own tools, that's part of my expertise.  I do
> recall there was a clause in the contract that anything I did on their
> time belonged to them.  For my next client, I should definitely include
> a clause about rereleasing open source changes.

Yup.  If you're not an employee (that is, if you get a 1099 form rather than
a W-2 form from your client), then any work you do belongs to you *except*
for what you agree in writing belongs to them.  So if you write code that's
not part of any deliverable, it's yours.

Of course, they might object to your using their facilities, or working on
their time, on stuff that isn't part of a deliverable.  But that's a
separate problem entirely.