Map of email origins to Python list

Alan Kennedy alanmk at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 7 18:26:50 EST 2005

[Claire McLister]
> Thanks, Alan. You are absolutely right, we are not using the
> NNTP-Posting-Host header for obtaining the IP address.

Aha, that would explain the lack of precision in many cases. A lot of
posters in this list/group go through NNTP (either with an NNTP client
or through NNTP-aware services like Google Groups) which should give
very good results, when available.

> So, we'll have to go back and fix the script that is extracting the IP
> address (which is written in Python, btw).

What better language to write in :-)

> Let me know if someone is
> interested in taking a look at it and I can post it somewhere.

Sure, please do make it available, or at least the geolocation component
anyway. I'm sure you'll get lots of useful comments from the many clever
and experienced folk who frequent this group.

Don't be aggrieved at the negative comment you've received: I think what
you're doing is fascinating.

But don't forget that a lot of people are not aware that this kind of
geolocation can be done, along with the many other inferences that can
be drawn from message and browser headers. So don't be surprised if some
of them try to "shoot the messenger".

I look forward to the map with updated precision :-)

--
alan kennedy