Newbie.......Python and Networking

phil phillip.watts at anvilcom.com
Wed May 4 13:54:06 EDT 2005

xeron wrote:

 > Hi ya fellas
 >
 > I am planning to learn Python, and because i have a networking
 > background so would like to direct my learning in a way that is
 > beneficial to my tasks in the mentioned field, please suggest a couple
 > of projects which i can implement so as to accelerate the learning
 > process................(Python projects in Networking domain, let it be
 > big...3 months....2 hrs per day)
 >
 > Really appreciate any help

I let my students learn on a VERY simple chat program,
UDP only. I think it was less than 50 lines of Python.

I cut my teeth on a message handler, POS application posts
its requests to MySQL via a Python message handler.

Want BIG?
spread.org is very powerful and somewhat complicated.
A python message server, guaranteed orderly delivery
over 1 UDP port, which is a little easier to understand
than spread, would be cool.

Even BIGGER?
Every linux distro has its own set of complex and
nearly unreadable networking scripts and none of them
handle routing and firewalls well.
Be the hero who rights a universal, well documented
python networking script.  Easy to read config file:

ethmodule=
IPADDR=192.168.1.12/24
DEFGATEWAY=192.168.1.1
DNSSERV1=208.208.1.1