Merging overlapping spans/ranges

Max M maxm at mxm.dk
Wed May 11 04:35:02 EDT 2005

Jim Sizelove wrote:

Wow! c.l.py is allmost like an AI program generator. But I guess it
helps to ask questions about problems that programmers find interresting :-)

The "linear" approach is pretty simple to code and understand. I am just
afraid what happens when many users tries to book that 14 day conference
in the calendar sometimes this year.

365 * 24 * 60 = 525,600 booleans in the array

Well ok a few MBytes ain't too bad on a modern machine. It would even be
possible to cut the resolution down to 15 minutes. Yielding 35,040
bools, but the solution is still O^2 with regards to size of "search
window" and number of events.

Bengts/Jims and Jordans solutions seems to be relatively similar. I will
use one of those instead of my own code.

Thanks!

--

hilsen/regards Max M, Denmark

http://www.mxm.dk/