SSL (HTTPS) with 2.4

Trent Mick trentm at ActiveState.com
Wed May 18 15:32:36 EDT 2005

[Bloke wrote]
> I just removed my installation of Python 2.4.1, which was the one on
> the python.org web site.  I installed the Activepython 2.4.1 and now I
> get the following error with the same code above:
>
>  File "C:\Python24\lib\urllib2.py", line 1053, in unknown_open
>     raise URLError('unknown url type: %s' % type)
> URLError: <urlopen error unknown url type: https>
>
> I'm getting a bit frustrated.  Do I need to import another library?
> Any advise is appreciated.

Unfortunately ActivePython cannot include the SSL library by default
because of crypto export regulations. For SSL support in an ActivePython
installation you'd have to add the _ssl.pyd extension separately (either
building it yourself, or finding an available binary).

Sincerely,
Trent

--
Trent Mick