Doubt regarding python Compilation

Andrew Dalke dalke at dalkescientific.com
Sun May 1 03:00:16 EDT 2005

praba kar wrote:
> I want to know whether Python is compiler language
> or interpreted language.  If Python is interpreter
> language why compilation is there.

That distinction is implementation dependent and
not an aspect of the language.  How would that knowledge
affect your decisions or thoughts on the topic?

The C version of Python byte-compiles the code and
caches the byte-code for the next time.

The .Net version can compiled down to assembly, at
least for some calls.

I've seen interactive versions of C that were
implemented with an interpreter.  (The one I'm thinking
of was used for teaching.)

				Andrew
				dalke at dalkescientific.com