Reverse engineer Object Oriented Python code

Terry Hancock hancock at anansispaceworks.com
Mon May 23 00:30:55 EDT 2005

On Sunday 22 May 2005 09:02 am, Aggarwal, Vikas (OFT) wrote:
>  I want to try reverese engineering a Server written in Python.
> Its is all object oriented stuff with some use of Design patterns.
>
> Umbrello in Linux has no support for python.
> I am not sure if Rational Rose can do this for me (Linux Eval version).
> Does any one know UML tool which can reverse engineer python classes into
>  UML and give me class diagrams etc.

Well, I had some success with this, once.  I'm pretty sure I was using
"happydoc" to do it. Try googling for that.  It can create a dia file with
UML formatting, IIRC.  If it wasn't that, it had to be "pydoc", which is
also quite useful.

I wouldn't call this "reverse engineering" by the way, but rather
"self documentation".

Cheers,
Terry