Python on a public library computer

Anton Vredegoor anton.vredegoor at gmail.com
Fri May 20 08:28:50 EDT 2005

alex23 wrote:

> You know, there _are_ valid reasons for libraries et.al. 'locking
down'
> public terminals other than fascism...

Maybe, but in this case I can run only IE, word, excel and powerpoint.

Do you think there is a rational reason for that? Like Tim Peters
showing up, explaining that it's just a natural side effect of binary
floating point implementations?

On the other hand one might look at public libraries as places suited
to inspire people and showing them how one is to treat the users of a
public service.

Since Dutch government is beyond hope in that department and the local
governments of Cities are also becoming more and more corrupt (what
does one expect if one gives the City rulers a bag of money and says
"it's your problem now, do whatever you like with it, just don't come
back for more") one can only hope that public services stay functional
until there's an anti-fascistic movement that can remove those people
that sold public freedom, right, and dignity to the highest commercial
bidding party.

As to my personal situation, I just wanna run python here without
having to 'educate' the computer infrastructure persons of this
library.

Anton

'any buyers for the european constitution?'