Python Documentation (should be better?)

Steven Bethard steven.bethard at gmail.com
Wed May 11 16:18:36 EDT 2005

Christopher J. Bottaro wrote:
> I think it should evolve into a manual that is more comprehensive
> and organized more like other programming manuals (chapter on control
> structures,

http://docs.python.org/tut/node6.html
  or
http://docs.python.org/ref/compound.html

> functions,

http://docs.python.org/tut/node6.html#SECTION006600000000000000000
http://docs.python.org/tut/node6.html#SECTION006700000000000000000
  or
http://docs.python.org/ref/function.html

> classes, inheritance, etc

http://docs.python.org/tut/node11.html
  or
http://docs.python.org/ref/class.html

Note that the first examples above are from the tutorial, the second
form the language reference.

Personally, I would think that for 99% of users, going through the
tutorial should be sufficient (it was for me).  I only use the language
reference when I need to explain a particular detail of why Python does
something.

Was there something that wasn't in the tutorial that you would have
liked to be?  The more specific you can get, the more easily we can
improve the documentation.

>>That said, if you see spots where the documentation needs help, the
>>right answer is to file a feature request[3] to add documentation.  If
>>you're feeling especially helpful, providing the documentation you'd
>>like to be added would be greatly appreciated.  Python's a community
>>effort -- if you see weak points, you can help the community build a
>>better Python by taking the time to address them yourself.
>
> That true, but to be perfectly honest...I don't feel qualified.  I'm still a
> young'un in this programming game.  I'm sure a lot of seasoned devs would
> scoff at the documentation I write.

Well then at least file a feature request and indicate what was missing
from the documentation, or what part of it confused you.  Even if you
throw in a few phrases of documentation that never get used, at least
they might give the dev who updates the documentation a better idea of
the problem you encountered.

STeVe