pyvm -- faster python

Kay Schluehr kay.schluehr at gmx.net
Thu May 12 01:40:10 EDT 2005

Paul Rubin wrote:
> "Kay Schluehr" <kay.schluehr at gmx.net> writes:
> > Delete the "standard" and You still obtain huge librarys for .Net,
Java
> > and Python. I also regret that Prothon starved in infancy but it
might
> > be exeggerated to demand that each language designer or one of his
> > apostels should manage a huge community that enjoys doing redundant
> > stuff like writing Tk-bindings, regexp-engines and all that.
>
> Maybe there needs to be some kind of standard FFI (foreign function
> interface) like Lisp implementations have.
>
> > Sooner or later Python will go the LISP way of having a
standardized
> > "Common-Python" ( std_objectspace) and a number of dialects and
DSLs
> > running in their own derived object spaces. Maybe Python 3000 is an
> > illusion and will fade away like a Fata Morgana the closer we seem
come.

> Right now Python feels about like Maclisp in the 1970's must have
felt
> (that was before my time so I can't know for certain).  Lots of
> hackerly excitement, lots of cruft.  It needs to ascend to the next
> level.  PyPy looks like the best vehicle for that so far.  See
>
>    http://catb.org/~esr/jargon/html/M/MFTL.html
>
> for the canonical remark about languages that can't be used to
> implement their own compilers.  Python is fun and useful, but it
> really isn't mature until PyPy is released for production use.

Yes. What we are seeking for and this may be the meaning of Armins
intentiously provocative statement about the speed of running HLLs is a
successor of the C-language and not just another VM interpreter that is
written in C and limits all efforts to extend it in a flexible and
OO-manner. Python is just the most promising dynamic OO-language to
follow this target.

Ciao,
Kay