Python Documentation (vs PHP stuff)

Ivan Van Laningham ivanlan at pauahtun.org
Wed May 11 23:54:09 EDT 2005

Hi All--

Terry Reedy wrote:

> Conclusion 3: some people would apparently be happier with the Python docs
> if they were combined into one Python Manual.  This could be done as a
> virtual anthology by writing a combined Table of Contents (with links) and
> an Introduction discussing the various 'Parts' and their
> interrelationships.  It would not have to be limited to PSF material
> either.  I might even take a stab at it if I ever feel sufficiently
> ambitious and energetic.

There are a GREAT many brilliant minds on this list, many of them
excellent writers (certain noisy parties excepted).  I write, and I am
certainly offering to help, but I think what's needed here is someone
who can organize better than the average person.  Terry might have the
right idea; maybe all that is needed is a hot table of contents,
although a few other repairs are in order, such as making the
Documentation link on the python.org front page point to the right
place.

A documentation Tips page wouldn't hurt, either; all these handy little
tricks people have been offering for my string methods problem ought to
be on a highly visible page.  No, not a 'How to find "string methods"'
page, but "Tips & Tricks for Interrogating the Python Docs" page.

Metta,
Ivan
Ivan Van Laningham
God N Locomotive Works
http://www.andi-holmes.com/
Army Signal Corps:  Cu Chi, Class of '70
Author:  Teach Yourself Python in 24 Hours