Software licenses and releasing Python programs for review

poisondart poisondart985 at gmail.com
Tue May 31 23:26:55 EDT 2005

> I'm a little curious about your position.
>
> Though code encodes knowledge (hence the word, of course :-), the
> system of concepts embodied in your code is not the same thing as the
> code itself.  Right?
>
> So, firstly, I don't follow your argument there: how does it follow
> from the fact that scientific and mathematical knowledge should not be
> treated by the law as - in some sense - property (a moot point of
> course, though I lean towards your view) that it doesn't 'make sense'
> (scare quotes because I'm not sure of your precise meaning) to sell
> your software for profit?

Hi,
I view my situation from the point of view of a teacher. That is, to
allude to a proverb, I'm trying to teach a person how to fish. I did
not invent the knowledge of fishing and selling this knowledge is not
what I want to do. I believe that I am putting this knowledge into a
form which I deem learnable for the student.

> Secondly, do you think it's a bad thing for anybody to sell software
> that makes use of the *concepts* in your code (provided that the use
> of those concepts is not restricted by financial or other legal
> means)?  If so, why?
>

> John

To be honest. I'm not sure. The knowledge that I learnt was all given
to me freely, I just consolidated it into these programs. I feel that
it would be unfair that along this chain of knowledge passing, one
person decided to exploit the free system and harbour his knowledge for
profit.
(Please read the next thread...)