Py2Exe security

Terje Johan Abrahamsen terjeja at gmail.com
Tue May 3 08:03:00 EDT 2005

Hello.

We have created some programs in Python that are to be distributed
around. The programs will be made into .exe files by py2exe. However,
in the source there are certain webadresses, logins and passwords that
the programs use, that we would like to keep away from the end users.
They will use them thru the program, but we would like them not to be
extracted and used separately for other purposes.

Is the compiling by py2exe enough? I have opened all the files in the
directory py2exe has made, and have not found anything I could read in
clear text. However, that does not mean that others can not. Is it
possible to extract these passwords, adresses and logins from the
sourcecode? If py2exe is not enough, is there some other simple tools
we can use to hide the source from the endusers?

Thanks in advance.