xmlrpclib and decoding entity references

Chris Curvey ccurvey at gmail.com
Wed May 4 08:35:18 EDT 2005

yep, I'm using SimpleRPCServer, but something is getting messed up
between the receipt of the XML stream and the delivery to my function.
The "normal" entity references (like < and &) are handled OK,
but the character references are not working.  For instance,

"Andr&#xe9;" is received by the server, but it's delivered to the
function as "Andr;"

I've figured out how to parse through the string to find all the
character references and convert them back, but that seems to be
causing a ProtocolError.

Hopefully someone can lend me a clue; I really don't want to have to
switch over to SOAP and end up in WSDL hell.