Python FAQ entries (Was: control precision for str(obj) output?)

Mike Meyer mwm at mired.org
Wed May 4 09:30:44 EDT 2005

"Dan Bishop" <danb_83 at yahoo.com> writes:

> Andrew Dalke wrote:
>> Mike Meyer wrote:
>> > Someone want to tell me the procedure for submitting FAQ entries,
> so I
>> > can do that for this?
>>
>> You mean more than what already exists at
>>
> http://www.python.org/doc/faq/general.html#why-are-floating-point-calculations-so-inaccurate
>>
>> which has a link to an even more detailed chapter in the tutorial at
>>   http://docs.python.org/tut/node16.html
>
> Yes.  Those pages explain why repr(0.2) != '0.2', but they don't
> explain why str([x]) != '[%s]' % x .

Exactly. The point that needs to go in the FAQ is the behavior of str
on lists, not floating point representation. The latter needs to be
mentioned, but isn't critical.

A quick check of the Python site turns up no discussion on submitting
new FAQ entries. There are patch submission guidelines, and lots of
things related to the mailman FAQ, but nothing on how to submit new
entries for the FAQ. Or has the FAQ been supplanted by the wiki at
www.python.org/moin, even though there doesn't appear to be a FAQ
page?

        <mike