Linux Python Module using PythonC/ API

John Machin sjmachin at lexicon.net
Wed May 25 00:54:12 EDT 2005

David Legault wrote:
> Hi Jeff thanx for the reply
>
> I'm a complete noob when it comes to Linux and trying to learn how to manage
> the compilation process of the same objects that work on windows.
>
> The complete linking line is this.
>
> ------------------
>
> all: main
>
> main: utm.o utmmodule.o
>     $(CC) $(CFLAGS) -shared -fPIC -Xlinker -export-dynamic -lpython2.3 -o
> utm.so
>
> -------------------
>
> If you could direct me into how to properly link the stuff into the .so
> file, I'd appreciate it.
>
> I will check to see if the symbols are effectively exported to the .so file.
>
> In windows I found it pretty easy to create the module files as dlls.

Why not use distutils? I've found it very easy to use on Windows, even
when setting up to use MinGW and the Borland bcc55 compiler. One doesn't
need to know anything about compiler command-line arguments; one just
tells it which compiler to use. Should be really simple on Linux.

http://www.python.org/doc/2.4.1/dist/dist.html

HTH,
John