OSx 10.4 lacks pythonIDE?

Robert Kern rkern at ucsd.edu
Fri May 13 13:48:22 EDT 2005

B wrote:

> On 13/5/05 03:35, in article
> mailman.508.1115951783.29826.python-list at python.org, "Robert Kern"
> <rkern at ucsd.edu> wrote:
>
>>baza wrote:
>>
>>>Where is the IDE in 'Tiger' for the mac? Don't tell me I have to use
>>>text edit all the time??
>>
>>PythonIDE never came with the OS. You have to install it yourself.
>>
>>http://homepages.cwi.nl/~jack/macpython/
>
> OK, just  installed it but it crashes under Tiger.

Not surprising. PythonIDE is very old and unmaintained relying on an
older and even more unmaintained GUI toolkit. You should probably find
another editor.

You could learn to use vim or emacs, both of which come with Tiger. They
also have somewhat more Aqua-friendly GUI versions lurking around. I'm
partial to vim, myself.

PyOXIDE might be a good choice for you.
http://homepage.mac.com/gandreas/Menu4.html

I'm told Xcode does a tolerable job with Python.

There are other IDEs floating around. Searching the PythonMac-SIG
mailing list archives should show you past discussions about them and
how well they work on OS X.

--
Robert Kern
rkern at ucsd.edu