Supercomputer and encryption and compression @ rate of 96%

Christos TZOTZIOY Georgiou tzot at sil-tec.gr
Wed May 11 10:45:06 EDT 2005

On Mon, 2 May 2005 23:11:54 +0530, rumours say that km
<km at mrna.tn.nic.in> might have written:

>Hi all,
>
>This was posted long ago.
>I tried to compress a  mp3 file but i couldnt get the keycode+".out" file which is of size 1 bit. instead it is printed to STDOUT. i am usng python 2.4 . i understand that the keycode is embedded in the filename itself. Is it a problem with python not able to create a file with such a big filename ?
>any workarounds ?

Ah...

Perhaps your humour is too subtle for me, in which case my reply is
totally off.  In any case:

Python does not restrict filename lengths; it happily creates filenames
of length less than or equal to the limit imposed by the underlying
operating system.

Now, in our universe there cannot be a compression algorithm that
reduces entropy and file size at the same time.  The code was a joke (I
even suggested a correction, which was a mistake because I hadn't
understood the full joke[1] :)

[snip effbot's code]

[1] I thought that Fredrik just made up something that looked like
working, and he explained that his code *was* working.
--
TZOTZIOY, I speak England very best.