compare two voices

Qiangning Hong hongqn at gmail.com
Sun May 1 02:17:18 EDT 2005

Jeremy Bowers wrote:
> No matter how you slice it, this is not a Python problem, this is an
> intense voice recognition algorithm problem that would make a good
> PhD thesis.

No, my goal is nothing relative to voice recognition.  Sorry that I
haven't described my question clearly.  We are not teaching English, so
the voice recognition isn't helpful here.

I just want to compare two sound WAVE file, not what the students or
the teacher really saying.  For example, if the teacher recorded his
"standard" pronouncation of "god", then the student saying "good" will
get a higher score than the student saying "evil" ---- because "good"
sounds more like "god".

Yes, this not a Python problem, but I am a fan of Python and using
Python to develop the other parts of the application (UI, sound play
and record, grammer training, etc), so I ask here for available python
module, and of cause, for any kindly suggestions unrelative to Python
itself (like yours) too.

I myself have tried using Python's standard audioop module, using the
findfactor and rms functions.  I try to use the value returned from
rms(add(a, mul(b, -findfactor(a, b)))) as the score.  But the result is
not good.  So I want to know if there is a human-voice optimized
algorithm/library out there.