Python on a public library computer

alex23 wuwei23 at gmail.com
Sun May 22 21:22:01 EDT 2005

> Maybe, but in this case I can run only IE, word, excel and
powerpoint.
> Do you think there is a rational reason for that?

Yes. It's easier to support. As someone who has worked at administering
small & large scale networks, you want that job to be as easy as
possible...

In this case, it sounds like the library is providing computers for two
purposes: access to Office tools and to the internet. Given the
"everything not forbidden is permissable" attitude of most people,
unless the use is restricted to only those two activities people
legitimately wanting access will tend to end up waiting for others who
have co-opted the services for their own personal end.

> On the other hand one might look at public libraries as places suited
> to inspire people and showing them how one is to treat the users of a
> public service.

By _secretly_ commandeering public resources for your own private use
outside of the scope of their intended usage, you plan on showing how
the public is responsible enough to do anything they want with those
resources?

At the end of the day, some staff member is left with having to clean
up whatever is done to those public terminals. I think the motivation
here has less to do with "selling out" the European Constitution and
more to do with someone just wanting to get home from their job with
the minimum of hassle.

-alex23