first release of PyPy

Torsten Bronger bronger at physik.rwth-aachen.de
Sat May 21 03:13:19 EDT 2005

Hallöchen!

Paul Rubin <http://phr.cx@NOSPAM.invalid> writes:

> Torsten Bronger <bronger at physik.rwth-aachen.de> writes:
>
>> Please could somebody explain to us non-CS people why PyPy could
>> have speed features CPython can't have?
>
> Does the one-word answer "compiler" explain enough?

No, just more questions.  ;-)

What's supposed to be compiled?  Only PyPy itself or also the
programs it's "interpreting"?

<http://www.python.org/pycon/dc2004/papers/27/>: "In the next step
    of the project, we will generate C code or machine code from the
    source of Pypy, thereby reducing the speed penalty."

I've been told by so many books and on-line material that Python
cannot be compiled (unless you cheat).  So how is this possible?

Tschö,
Torsten.