Solipsis: Python-powered Metaverse

Paul McNett p at ulmcnett.com
Wed May 11 13:19:37 EDT 2005

Aahz wrote:
> In article <mailman.370.1115824344.29826.python-list at python.org>,
> Paul McNett  <p at ulmcnett.com> wrote:
>
>>[1] Although, some ISP's are taking it upon themselves to drop or reject
>>port 25 traffic. A wrong but understandable stopgap solution to the
>>problem of peoples toy machines getting infected by malware - at least
>>those machines won't be able to send mailbombs anywhere else.
>

> I've heard of other kinds of port-blocking, too, making it difficult or
> impossible to set up VPNs, for example.

See, they *are* out there, trying to take away my freedom! :) The
logical extension of this is that cable/dsl providers will only allow
destinations of port 80 and 25, because those two services are what "the
Internet" is to 80% of the ISP's customers. Actually, you can scratch
port 25 because more and more people are using webmail (ick!), but you
probably need to add 443. So "what the Internet is" becomes set in stone
instead of what it naturally wants to do: evolve.

--
pkm ~ http://paulmcnett.com