Is Python suitable for a huge, enterprise size app?

Steve M sjmaster at gmail.com
Wed May 18 14:20:27 EDT 2005

This thread:

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2005-January/051255.html

discusses the problem with memory allocation in CPython. Apparently
CPython is not good at, or incapable of, releasing memory back to the
operating system. There are ways to compensate for this. I guess the
comment about C modules was meant as one way to do so, either by
reducing memory requirement in the first place (C data structures are
more compact than Python) or else by allocating and freeing memory
wholly in the C module, which perhaps does work as expected.

The web page for Evan Jones does not obviously indicate the status of
the improved memory allocator patch he was working on. I wonder if it
is coming along.

Incidentally, does anyone know the prospects for CPython to be made
stackless? Say in 2.5 or 2.9? Or will that always be an independent
project?