Europython schedule vs. accomodation/registration deadlines - HUH?

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Mon May 2 21:51:41 EDT 2005

Wolfgang Keller wrote:
> Hello,
>
> today I've read the following on the Europython WWW site:
>
> http://www.europython.org/sections/registration_issues/registration_info
> rma
>
> "Early bird payment ends 15 May."
> "Last day for reserving accomodations is 15 May."
>
> http://www.europython.org/sections/tracks_and_talks/schedule_day_1
>
> "The schedule will be posted in early June."
>
> Are the people who are organising this aware of to what point this is -
> sorry - plain nonsense?
>
> The attendees are supposed to register and reserve accomodation before
> even being able to know when/whether it will be worth attending for
> them?
>
> This isn't serious, is it?
>
> I'm sorry, but I've never encountered this with any kind of
> conference...

Well in that case you clearly never became aware of PyCon 2004, where we
made exactly the same kind of planning mistake. Sometimes when
conferences are organized by volunteers this kind of thing slips by the
sanity checkers until a potential delegate points it out.

regards
  Steve

PS we made sure to avoid this problem in 2005, though the Conference
Committee had to work very hard to do so.
--
Steve Holden        +1 703 861 4237  +1 800 494 3119
Holden Web LLC             http://www.holdenweb.com/