Newbie : checking semantics

Stefan Nobis snobis at gmx.de
Mon May 16 04:33:38 EDT 2005

"LDD" <loicderoyand at yahoo.fr> writes:

> The fact that python doesn't check if the symbol
> AFunctionThatIsntDefined is defined, is really bad when you
> develop big pieces of code.

Yes, that's one of my two points, that i think are misfeatures in
Python, too. The problem is, that Python don't distinguish between
defining/binding a variable and setting a value (for example in
contrast to Lisp, where binding and setting are two separate
operations (namley let and setq)).

The other point is a missing (optional) statement to end blocks
(so you optional don't have to mark block via whitespace). IMHO
this comes very handy in some cases (like mixing Python and HTML
like in PSP). From my experience i also would say beginners have
quite some problems with only whitespace marking blocks (but it
also has some benefits). So i'm not as sure about this as the
above point.

BTW: I would also appreciate a nicer syntax for classes (no
explicit self, no masses of _). But that's another story... :)

--
Stefan.