python24.zip

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Mon May 23 16:47:12 EDT 2005

Robin Becker wrote:
> ie if we have N importers and F leading failure syspath entries before
> the correct one is found do we get order N*F failed stats/opens etc etc?

No. Each path hook is supposed to provide a decision as to whether this
is a useful item on sys.path only once; the importer objects themselves
are then cached (with some operation to clear the cache). Each path hook
may apply its own algorithm, e.g. looking at the syntactical structure
or the type of the sys.path item, so not all of them need stat/open
to determine whether they support the item.

The multiplicative behaviour rather results from the different type of
modules: each path item may carry .py, .pyc, .so, module.so, etc.

Regards,
Martin