Just remember that Python is sexy

Sion Arrowsmith siona at chiark.greenend.org.uk
Thu May 26 08:10:28 EDT 2005

Duncan Booth  <duncan.booth at suttoncourtenay.org.uk> wrote:
>>     Peter> Sion Arrowsmith wrote:
>>     >> But can you come up with a method for remembering which way
>>     >> round str.find() and str.index() are?
>>
>>     Peter> Don't use "str" and you won't have anything to remember:
>>
>>     Peter> 'foo bar baz'.find('spam')
>>     Peter> 'spanish inquisition'.index('parrot')
>> But which one raises an exception, and which one returns -1?

That's what I meant (and why I wrote "str." not "string.").

>The name index implies it returns something you can use as an index to get
>at the substring.

Unfortunately, -1 can of course be used as an index. Mind you, it
would be perverse to expect to find the substring at it.

--
\S -- siona at chiark.greenend.org.uk -- http://www.chaos.org.uk/~sion/
  ___  |  "Frankly I have no feelings towards penguins one way or the other"