Offline debuggimg

qwweeeit at yahoo.it qwweeeit at yahoo.it
Wed May 18 15:46:28 EDT 2005

Hi all,
with my last initiative (logging by intercepting  open calls) I
succeded (with the essential help  of Fredrik Lundh), but I must
confess that the method is too complicated...
I think that a better result could be obtained by offline debugging.
I explain: debugging is mainly an interactive activity, but you can
also use an offline method, through a file that store the debug
commands to be executed..

With pdb there is a technique of this type (which uses .pdbrc), but I
have not seen enough informations around.
Do you have more informations, or do you used it?
My goal is to have an offline debugging tool which let me fire (from
file) the debugging commands and save in another file the history of
the session, recording both the commands and the corresponding outputs.
Of course, it could be used also as a logging tool for various purposes
(it depends on the type of debugging commands you fire...).
For Linux's users this is similar to running  a command with input and
output redirection...

In your opinion the offline debugging is a viable method?

Bye.