how to make a LAN game using python?

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Fri May 6 22:07:07 EDT 2005

flyaflya wrote:
> I want make a desktop game suports LAN connect, but pygame has nothing
> about network.How to let pygame suport LAN connect? have you some
> examples or articles about LAN connect?

Pygame wouldn't bother supporting that, since it's already fully
supported by standard Python, and any number of add-on frameworks.

Your options include, but aren't limited to:

- the "socket" module in Python's standard library
- "asyncore" and friends in the standard library
- Twisted (this might be beyond your level, but it was *designed* for
doing online games so it can certainly handle whatever you want to throw
at it... think of it as something you can grow into)
- Pyro (this might be the easiest for you to get working, if you already
know Python and are using it for all software involved)

Many books and web sites on Python will cover networking issues as well.
  The Python in a Nutshell book certainly talks about it, and I suspect
the Cookbook has some useful recipes as well.

Finally, search terms to help you use Google, which could certainly have
told you much of this if you'd tried, include "sockets", "RPC",
"distributed systems", "networking", and of course "Python" in
combination with any of them...

-Peter