Is Python suitable for a huge, enterprise size app?

vincent wehren vincent at visualtrans.de
Thu May 19 01:38:14 EDT 2005

"john67" <teamuhlig at gmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:1116430620.004234.187280 at f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
| The company I work for is about to embark on developing a commercial
| application that will cost us tens-of-millions to develop.  When all is
| said and done it will have thousands of  business objects/classes, some
| of which will have hundreds-of-thousands of instances stored in a DB.
| Our clients will probably have somewhere between 50-200 users working
| on the app during the day, possibly in mutiple offices, and then a
| large number of batch processes will have to run each night.  It will
| also need to have a web interface for certain users.  It needs to be
| robust, easy to maintain, and able to be customized for each client.
|
| Right now it looks like Java is the language of choice that the app
| will be developed in. However, I have been looking and reading a lot
| about Python recently and it seems to me that Python could handle it.

If the application is really huge, you should consider using
a set of programming languages that do the particular job best.
That is, go for a complementary, concurrent approach in your choice
of programming  languages. I wouldn't want to religiously stick to any
one language just for the sake of being religious.

I am sure that from a "best-for-the-job" perspective, Python is a serious
candidate for most of them. The aspects robust, easy to maintain, and
suitable for customization that you envision as properties
for your application are properties that need to be matched the
language(s) of choice, as well. Again, here Python is a more than serious
contender.

Regards,
--

Vincent Wehren