file corruption on windows - possible bug

Duncan Booth duncan.booth at invalid.invalid
Mon May 9 11:48:33 EDT 2005

Fredrik Lundh wrote:

> you do realize that this opens the file again every time, so you end
> up having 4x2500 file handles pointing to 4 physical files.  that's a
> bad idea.

Assuming he is using the common C Python most of those file handles get
closed immediately after opening, so he never actually has more than 5
handles open at one time. Even 5 open handles to 4 physical files is a bad
idea though, and depending on this behaviour is also a bad idea.

If he had actually managed to try to open all the files simultaneously then
I think an exception would be quite likely with anything approaching that
number of handles e.g. on my XP system I can open 509 handles (or 3 more if
I close stdin/out/err first) and just over twice that on Linux.