how can I sort a bunch of lists over multiple fields?

Steven Bethard steven.bethard at gmail.com
Wed May 4 20:51:54 EDT 2005

Lonnie Princehouse wrote:
> Right, but suppose it's expensive to generate each part of the key -
> e.g. a database query or some kind of hash, so it doesn't make sense to
> compute the whole key in advance if the first part is sufficient to
> establish an ordering most of the time.   This is what I had in mind (I
> should have been more clear about that)

Yeah, that's probably a reasonable use case for the cmp= argument, as is
any case where you're *really* tight for memory (the key= sort requires
small extra auxiliary structures to hold the key values).

For newbies though, I still suspect that key= is the easiest and fastest
answer to most sorting problems.  Advanced users will, of course, need
more advanced techniques. =)

STeVe