problem uploading ZIP file tp PyPI

John Machin sjmachin at lexicon.net
Thu May 19 20:02:16 EDT 2005

On Fri, 20 May 2005 11:28:14 +1200, "Tony Meyer" <t-meyer at ihug.co.nz>
wrote:

>>> How is this a bug?  sdist is meant to produce a zip file on
>>> Windows if --format isn't used.  If "upload" overrides this for some
>>> reason, then the documentation should say so (and, IMO, it would be a
>>> mistake for that to be the case).
>>
>> It's a bug against PyPI, not distutils.
>
>Did you mean that the bug is that PyPI won't accept a zipped source
>distribution?  To me, your message read like it was saying that (distutils)
>producing a zip source distribution file without --format was a bug.
>
>So (if the former is what you meant) would a workaround for now be to do
>something like:
>
>  setup.py sdist --format=gztar upload

(1) error: command 'tar' failed: No such file or directory

(2) error: invalid command 'upload'

FYI, there are a few unreconstructed diehards out here who neither run
on a *x platform nor run bleeding-edge Python straight out of last
night's CVS.

Viz: Python 2.4.1 (#65, Mar 30 2005, 09:13:57) [MSC v.1310 32 bit
(Intel)] on win32