Stupid Newbie Question Concerning CGI and Reading Forward Slashes

Jatinder Singh jatinder at textualanalytics.com
Tue May 31 05:07:00 EDT 2005

Hi Joey,
I am not sure but still I might mean something and give you some clues.
Just try to change / with double slash(//) or with backslash(\ or \\).
next option is read about os module it can give u some hints about how paths
should be written.
Hope These will help.

Quoting "Joey C." <joeyjwc at gmail.com>:

> Hi, I want to make a configuration script for something and it needs to
> read inputs from an HTML file.  A couple of these inputs are textboxes
> that the user inputs a path in.  For example:
> Your Home Directory:
> [/home/me/public_html/]
>
> So, I'm using Python to read these inputs and store them in a
> configuration file.  However, I cannot get the CGI to read the forward
> slashes (/).  It just leaves a blank area.  So, for example:
> Input: /usr/bin/sendmail
> Reads: sendmail
>
> Input: /home/me/public_html/
> Reads: (Nothing.)
>
> params = cgi.FieldStorage()
>
> def writep(key, name):
>   if params.has_key(key):
>     fconfig.write(name + ": " + os.path.split(params[key].value)[1] +
> ";\n")
>
> ^ This is the function for handling a key that is read by the cgi.  The
> "name" is the name that it stores the key under so the configuration
> file looks like:
> name: key;[Line Break]
>
> However, is there a way to get it to read the forward slashes?  If
> there isn't do you suggest having the user use a different character
> and adding a function in the script to substitute a forward slash for
> that character?
>
> I tried looking for this for a long while, but maybe I didn't search
> enough.  Thanks for all of your help and I'm sorry if this is a
> question that has been asked 15 million times.
>
> Joey C.
>
> --

Regards,
Jatinder Singh

“ Everyone needs to be loved... especially when they do not deserve it.”