Is Python suitable for a huge, enterprise size app?

Maurice LING mauriceling at acm.org
Thu May 19 19:32:01 EDT 2005

Peter Hansen wrote:

> Maurice LING wrote:
>
>> It makes big difference (legally) to if the codes are there and
>> someone sees it, to if the codes are locked in some packaged or zipped
>> form and someone reverse-engineer it. It is legally as different as if
>> you drop money on the ground and I pick it up, to pick-pocketing you
>> and take the money.
>>
>> Nobody seems to be able to understand this simple logic.
>

> So you're saying that reverse engineering Java bytecode is illegal,
> while doing the same with Python bytecode is not?  Or something like
> that?  (And you're a lawyer, right?  Because if you're not, and you're
> not citing your sources, why is it we should put any value in these
> comments about what is (legally) true?)
>
> -Peter

What I'm saying is reverse engineering anything is illegal unless
allowed by the laws of the state, be it <your language> bytecodes or
compiled executables, but if the original source codes are there, you
can see it.

To put it sexually and crudely (to get the idea across), if a female
strips and parade in front of me, I'm not violating any law to open my
eyes and look at it (whether morally or religiously right is a total
different matter) but it is criminal for me to grab any moving female,
strip her and look at her naked. Can see the point?

maurice