pyvm -- faster python

Roger Binns rogerb at rogerbinns.com
Tue May 10 23:10:02 EDT 2005

"Paul Rubin" <http://phr.cx@NOSPAM.invalid> wrote in message news:7xvf5qbir1.fsf at ruckus.brouhaha.com...
> "Roger Binns" <rogerb at rogerbinns.com> writes:
>> That will rule out all the gui frameworks, SSL, cryptography
>> and numerous other packages.  Have a look at what happened to
>> Prothon.
>
> I think it would be enough to retarget SWIG.

That is also a lot of work, and a lot of toolkits that use Swig
for Python bindings are very strongly tied to the Swig-Python
internals.  For example I doubt there are many where you could
tell Swig to output Java and it would just work.  (I know none
of mine would work, nor would wxPython).

>> What ultimately killed it was the problem of having a decent
>> library.
>
> Nah, I think people just lost interest.  Otherwise, why isn't Jython
> dead?

Err, you proved my point!  Prothon was fine at the VM level.  The
author couldn't figure out how to get a decent sized "standard"
library, and ultimately ended up abandoning his VM for .Net since
that gets you a large standard library.  Jython also gets a large
standard library from the Java ones.

Roger