Python Impact Analysis Tool ?

Paul McNett p at ulmcnett.com
Wed May 25 16:42:40 EDT 2005

Terry Hancock wrote:
> On Wednesday 25 May 2005 08:27 am, dcolford2000 at hotmail.com wrote:
>
>>Is there an impact analysis tool out there that can cross reference
>>python -- VB has a couple of these tools (eg. Visual Expert)
>
> I could be wrong, but my first impression is that that must be
> VB jargon for something we might know under another name.

Yep, I think we know it as 'unit testing'.

 From the Visual Expert site (http://visual-expert.com), impact analysis
refers to taking a given variable or function name, and finding
everywhere in the project where that name is referenced, for the purpose
of determining what bad things will happen when that variable or
function is changed somehow. The tool won't tell you what bad things
will happen, just list other code segments that depend on the name in
question.

While such a tool may indeed be helpful in quickly understanding a
project, and there may indeed be such a tool for Python, I think that
most Pythonistas would find unit testing has a better impact on
developer productivity, for the common case of wanting to make a change
and also fix any dependent structures: just do it and then discover/fix
any repercussions!

--
pkm ~ http://paulmcnett.com