Q: The `print' statement over Unicode

Jeremy Bowers jerf at jerf.org
Sat May 7 11:14:09 EDT 2005

On Sat, 07 May 2005 12:10:46 -0400, François Pinard wrote:

> [Martin von Löwis]
>
>> François Pinard wrote:
>>
>> > Am I looking in the wrong places, or else, should not the standard
>> > documentation more handily explain such things?
>
>> It should, but, alas, it doesn't. Contributions are welcome.
>
> My contributions are not that welcome.  If they were, the core team
> would not try forcing me into using robots and bug trackers! :-)

I'm not sure that the smiley completely de-fangs this comment.

Have you every tried managing a project even a tenth the size of Python
*without* those tools? If you had any idea of the kind of continuous,
day-in, day-out *useless busywork* you were asking of the developers,
merely to save you a minute or two on the one occasion you have something
to contribute, you'd apologize for the incredibly unreasonable demand you
are making from people giving you an amazing amount of free stuff. (You'd
get a lot less of it, too; administration isn't coding, and excessive
administration makes the coding even less fun and thus less likely to be
done.) An apology would not be out of line, smiley or no.

I've never administered anything the size of Python. I have, however, been
up close and personal with a project that had about five developers
full-time, and administering *that* without bug trackers would have been a
nightmare. I can't even imagine trying to run Python by hand.... at least
not that and getting useful work done too.