pyvm -- faster python

Paul Rubin http
Thu May 12 00:16:27 EDT 2005

Greg Ewing <greg at cosc.canterbury.ac.nz> writes:
> > PyPy looks like the best vehicle for that so far.  See
> >    http://catb.org/~esr/jargon/html/M/MFTL.html
> > for the canonical remark about languages that can't be used to
> > implement their own compilers.
>
> Which makes it clear that the remark is only intended to apply to
> *compiled* languages.

Yes, there are several Python compilers already, (Psyco, Jython followed
up by your favorite JIT compiler, IronPython (similarly), Pyrex (not
quite the same input language but I think it should be counted), etc.
It's true that CPython doesn't have a compiler and that's a serious
deficiency.  A lot of Python language features don't play that well
with compilation, and that's often unnecessary.  So I hope the baseline
implementation changes to a compiled one before the language evolves
too much more.