Tkinter slowes down

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Mon May 30 06:00:20 EDT 2005

Eric Brunel wrote:

>> In the meantime I found that widget.destroy() works well, too (before
>> "repainting").
>
> This was the only solution I found using "regular" Tkinter widgets when
> there are bindings on canvas items. I tried to find another solution by
> modifying Tkinter.py, but the problem is much harder than it seems,
> since many things happen at tcl level.

for pure Tkinter, I recommend using bind classes to implement "controllers"
on the canvas level, using appropriate find functions to locate the individual
items, and dispatching via "trackers".  see

    http://online.effbot.org/2004_09_01_archive.htm#wck-track

for some background (I guess it's time to write that "later article" I mention
in that article.  if you cannot wait, feel free to steal the controller code from
the WCK).

</F>