hard memory limits

Mike Meyer mwm at mired.org
Fri May 6 18:13:52 EDT 2005

Maurice LING <mauriceling at acm.org> writes:

> Hi everyone,
>
> thanks for your help.
>
> Yes, I'm using Mac OSX 1.3 with 256MB Ram. Each element in the list is
> a float. The list is actually a retrieved results of document IDs from
> SOAP interface. And Mac OSX does not have 'unlimit' command as shown,
>
> Maurice-Lings-Computer:~ mauriceling$ unlimit
> -bash: unlimit: command not found
> Maurice-Lings-Computer:~ mauriceling$ which unlimit
> Maurice-Lings-Computer:~ mauriceling$ sh unlimit
> unlimit: unlimit: No such file or directory
> Maurice-Lings-Computer:~ mauriceling$

This is a shell builtin command, not an OS X command. For bash, the
command is "ulimit", not "unlimit". You'll need to read the bash man
page for exact details on how to raise your processes memory limits.

Note that the OS X may have a hard limit that you can't exceed except
as root. This can be raised, but it's a global system configuration,
and you'll have to get someone who knows more about  OS X than I do to
tell you how to do that.

        <mike