Defunct Processes With subprocess.Popen

John Abel jabel at plus.net
Wed May 11 04:29:55 EDT 2005

Hi!

I'm currently writing a script which launches external programs, but it
keeps leaving zombie/defunct processes behind, until I kill the
launching script, which is a bit of a pain, as it's supposed to be a
daemon.  The code I'm using is:

newPid = subprocess.Popen( cmdLine[ 1: ], executable=cmdLine[ 0 ],
close_fds=True ).pid

I've tried calling it using the shell=True flag, but that leaves a
zombie for the sh, instead.  I'm not interested in any output, the only
thing I need returning, is the pid of the new process.  I've tried using
spawn*, with the same results.  Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.