Launch file in Notepad

Richie Hindle richie at entrian.com
Thu May 12 10:11:53 EDT 2005

[George]
> b1="c:\test.txt"

With this code, your problem is the embedded tab as you say.  Use either
r"c:\test.txt" or "c:\\test.txt".  However, if this is true:

> By the way, b1 comes from a command line parameter, so the user enters
> c:\test.txt as command line parameter.

then there will be no embedded tab.  How are you prompting the user?  When
I run this:

import os
b1=raw_input("Enter a filename: ")
os.system('notepad.exe ' + b1)

and enter c:\test.txt, it works as expected.

[Brian]
> There are several ways, but the preferred solution is to switch the
> slash direction: "c:/test.txt". Python's smart enough to notice its
> running on Windows and do the right thing with the slash.

In fairness to Windows, I don't believe Python does anything special here.
Windows itself happily accepts either forward slash or backslash at the OS
level - it's only the shells (explorer.exe or to a lesser extent cmd.exe)
that don't accept forward slashes.

--
Richie Hindle
richie at entrian.com