problem uploading ZIP file tp PyPI

John Machin sjmachin at lexicon.net
Sun May 15 22:23:02 EDT 2005

richard wrote:
> John Machin wrote:
> > Sorry in advance if this is not the correct forum ...
>
> Quite. The support link for PyPI is in the sidebar of the site.

Tried that, when I was trying to register and getting strange error
messages about the user name, like "John Machin" and "John_Machin" were
not "ascii" [it finally permitted "sjmachin"]. The response volume
could not be likened to that of a fire-hose.

> > I'm trying to upload what appears to be a perfectly OK zip file as
> > "source" file type to PyPI, and am getting this response:
> >
> > Error...
> > There's been a problem with your request
> > exceptions.ValueError: invalid distribution file
>
> The *only* valid (perfectly OK) source file to upload is a Source
> Distribution as generated by the "sdist" setup.py command.

Which is precisely how the file in question was generated:

setup.py sdist --format=zip