Solipsis: Python-powered Metaverse

Paul McNett p at ulmcnett.com
Sat May 14 02:47:34 EDT 2005

Terry Reedy wrote:
> While the above is not directly on-topic for c.l.p, it does suggest
> possible design considerations for users of the socket module and packets
> built on top ;-).
> -- including Solipsis, which is such.

I contributed to the thread going kind of off-topic, so I'll just follow
up by saying that the Solipsis Metaverse could have the potential to be
the killer app that gets Python noticed in a widespread, mainstream
fashion (with no value judgement attached to that - I'm not sure that
development would be particularly good or bad for Python). The ability
for anyone to design their own entities and then put them into a common
metaverse, where they exist in "concrete" fashion just by virtue of
being there at a given position and size, and that none of the entities
in the metaverse are managed by a central server, is just amazingly
cool. The coolness factor could be like that of the web in 1993, with
Python enabling all kinds of normal people to learn programming so they
can make their mark with their avatar in the virtual world - indeed more
and more of daily life may become dependent on dealing with people in
the metaverse instead of face-to-face. And once the masses learn how to
really wield the power of their computers, watch out the human race just
evolved a little more.

But the ability for maliciousness to be unleashed is an unfortunate
side-effect too, and the Python community should be prepared for the
language becoming the scapegoat, but then again each entity in the
metaverse is really its own server, and can limit its input/output just
like we do now with Python web apps.

Um, when I started this message I meant to bring it back on topic. Oh,
well. Hiro forgives me, I am sure.

--
pkm ~ http://paulmcnett.com