python24.zip

Dieter Maurer dieter at handshake.de
Fri May 27 10:23:26 EDT 2005

"Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de> writes on Tue, 24 May 2005 23:58:03 +0200:
> ... 10.000 failing opens -- a cause for significant IO during startup ? ...

> So I would agree that IO makes a significant part of startup, but
> I doubt it is directory reading (unless perhaps you have an
> absent NFS server or some such).

We noticed the large difference between warm and cold start even when
we run from a zip archive. We expected that the only relevant IO would
go to the zip archives and therefore, we preloaded them to the
OS cache (by reading them sequentially) before the Python start.
To our great surprise, this did not significantly reduced Python's
(cold) startup time. We concluded that there must be other IO
not directed to the zip archives, started investigating and found
the 10.000 opens to non-existing files as the only other
significant IO contingent....

Dieter